Those who are:
- Involved in lean enterprise development and deployment
- Looking to streamline operations, reduce costs, improve outcomes and/or increase productivity
What You'll Learn
- Methods to improve speed and efficiency to complement and reinforce organizational effectiveness in meeting mission, vision and values
- Develop and integrate Lean Six Sigma tools to more effectively meet various needs
- Supervision and team building strategies for enhanced productivity
- Overview of fundamental lean principles
- Statistical analysis and strategies to administer complex projects
- Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control (DMAIC) methodology
- Project management methodology, evaluation, planning, and reporting
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in a variety of industries all over the world, and can be found in companies, government or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- Lean Six Sigma Consultant
- Project Engineer
- Business Process Analyst
- Warehouse Operations Manager
“I recommend UCR Extension's programs to anyone who wants to become a universal employee. The knowledge may be applied anywhere--whether you are looking for a position in government, manufacturing, business operations, international relations or even medical fields. I had a fantastic experience and will definitely come back to enhance my future career!”
Process Improvement Coordinator
HiRel Connectors, Inc.
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Familiarity with project management principles and practice
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Learn the principles and concepts of construction management including project management, supervision, planning, financial management and industry best practices.
- Project planning and management tools
- Defining and controlling the scope of a project to the role and responsibilities of the construction manager
- Contract and subcontract management
- Public agencies and code enforcement issues
- Industry resources, connections and best practices
Get an in-depth examination of lean principles that may be implemented immediately in the workplace to reduce waste, improve performance and cut costs. Lean principles were designed for manufacturing processes, but they can also apply to for-profit, nonprofit and government service and business processes.
- Metrics and measures for lean performance
- Value stream mapping and process flow
- Visual workplace and 5-S improvement
- Set-up reduction
- Kaizen events and rapid improvement
- Cellular manufacturing
- Lean processes and office administration integration
- Stabilizing processes and reducing variation
- Mistake proofing
- Failure modes effect analysis
- Lean product and service design
This course is appropriate for any team or individual responsible for operations and process flow improvement including managers, line supervisors, functional leaders, business analysts, key vendors and suppliers, business consultants and sales staff.
Participants examine skills and strategies to more effectively supervise workers, build and utilize teams and improve leadership qualities. Case studies explore leading organization design systems and processes to enhance productivity and improve workflow. Specific topics include:
- Time management
- Productivity improvement strategies
- Cutting waste
- Eliminating duplication of effort
- Communication skills
Emphasis is placed on the use of cross-functional teams, delegation tactics and the skills supervisors commonly use to improve flexibility, reliability, quality, customer service and profitability.
Six Sigma incorporates the latest project and process management skills to help professionals improve performance, reduce costs and streamline processes. This program is ideal for key managers in operations, engineering, information technology and manufacturing. The Green Belt program provides a comprehensive overview of the Six Sigma methodology and prepares individuals to take stock of key projects or processes within their organization. The program focuses on five key elements – Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control (DMAIC). Topics include:
Throughout the program students have the opportunity to apply Six Sigma within the safety of the classroom using work projects. This program allows participants to develop a skill set that is immediately applicable within the work environment.
- Project definition
- Team identification
- Measurement system analysis
- Basic tools necessary to measure performance
- Effects analysis
- Process mapping
- Control planning
- Mistake proofing
- Project planning
Black Belts lead facility problem solving, train and coach project teams and work with organizational leaders to achieve major performance milestones. This course completes the Six Sigma process development lifecycle with use of statistical processes and strategies designed to fully implement a Six Sigma project. Participants learn how to manage and analyze all aspects of a project including human resources, technology including Minitab statistical software and other outside factors in order to control quality and performance throughout the process. Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to administer complex projects, analyze organizational processes using Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control (DMAIC) methodology and apply advanced process mapping, statistical tools to improve operational performance.
“I am aware of the criticality of teaching to accommodate the appropriate learning methods. I use a combination of styles in the classroom, integrating my relevant life experiences into the discussions. Students relate better to real-time events rather than just textbook theory. Combining textbook theory and group discussion provides an effective teaching methodology for my students.”
Cathedral City, CA
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.