2017 Program Dates: June 26 - August 4
What You'll Learn
- State-of-the-art technologies and software using the ArcGIS platform: ArcGIS Desktop, Mobile apps, Online Cloud GIS, Web App Builder and web app templates, ArcGIS Enterprise.
- How to manage a GIS data structure and design and create and use data from various sources.
- Analyzing tools and methodologies.
- Visualization using cartographic design and web services.
- Practical implementation of GIS in an organization/business and project development.
What You Can Do
Positions are available in small companies, corporations, government, or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- GIS Technician
- GIS Analyst
- GIS Coordinator or Manager
- GIS Developer
Who Should Attend
- Wish to start a GIS career or apply GIS in their current profession.
- Wish to sharpen GIS skills and obtain a certificate.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows.
- Successful completion of one of the following:
- Introduction to ArcGIS
- Learning ArcGIS Desktop: A Self-paced Online Course
- Equivalent courses from accredited college or university (official transcripts required)
- Consent of program coordinator
What You Should Know
- Regular Rate: $5,295
- Early Bird Rate: $4,995 (if paid on or before June 1).
- International Student Rate: $6,150 (see IEP website for more information).
- Pay a $500 deposit to reserve your spot.
- Deposit is nonrefundable after June 1.
- Balance is due on or before June 15.
Students are provided with all course materials, texts, parking, and a luncheon.
Field Trips (incl. transportation):
- Esri User Conference in San Diego.
- UCR Map Gallery.
- Esri headquarters in Redlands.
- Python Scripting
- ArcGIS Pro
- GIS Career Workshop
- An ArcGIS 10.5 student license (provided upon arrival).
- An external hard drive with pre-installed data sets, software and other resources.
A laptop is not required, but if you bring your own, it must have minimum system requirements requirements to run the ArcGIS software.
Accommodation is not included in the program fee. For housing at the International Village, please visit here, but there are hotels near UCR Extension.
Download the GIS Academy Schedule
Also of Interest
“The program opened my eyes to the varied world of GIS applications and processes. The skills I acquired have enabled me to apply GIS within my profession in a more in-depth and meaningful way. I am now my firm's lead GIS specialist.”
Senior Researcher and GIS Specialist
Scientific Resource Surveys, Inc.
Aliso Viejo, CA
Earning the Certificate
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Practical Approaches for Implementing Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Overview of the history, fundamentals, and techniques of the GIS industry and the basic implementation issues for business and governmental entities. Main topics include:
- GIS strategy in needs assessments
- business processes,
- application development
- database specifications
- project definitions
GIS software will be used hands-on to demonstrate practical solutions to real-world problems.
One of the first things requested after an analysis is made with a geographic information system (GIS) is a map. This course is an in-depth study of cartographic techniques and methods employed in the creation of maps. Map design and content, design procedures, and production techniques are discussed. The course involves students in:
- color selection
- the use of text with maps
- the creation of a "visual hierarchy" to assist the map reader getting the best out of the map
Thematic and general mapping with the use of GIS data are explored. Cartographic design strategies for both printed maps and web maps are discussed.
GIS Applications Lab
This course explores the tools in ArcGIS to develop and implement GIS projects from conception to finished product. Topics include:
- database creation
- data analysis
- geodatabase concepts
- spatial analysis concepts
Databases from local agencies are integrated into the course for analysis and to provide hands-on practice with real-world applications.
GIS Database Design
The goals and industry tools available for planning and implementing each phase. Physical design is emphasized using the ESRI Geodatabase. Geodatabase architecture is discussed and a variety of geodatabase behaviors, such as:
Principles of Web GIS Applications
Web GIS is a promising field with great applicability to government, business, and our daily life. This course teaches you the state-of-the-art Web GIS technologies, including:
- ArcGIS Online
- Cloud GIS
- ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal and Server)
- smart mapping
- story maps
- web app templates
- Web AppBuilder
- Operations Dashboard
- online analysis
- other mobile GIS apps
- 3D web scenes
Drones, real-time GIS, internet of things, and big data technologies will also be discussed in the context of Web GIS.
Essential GIS Skills
This course introduces both the “how” and “why” of Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Using hands-on exercises, you will receive step-by step instructions to accomplish a wide range of real-world tasks such as making maps, and creating and editing data from various sources. The course combines an understanding of basic GIS concepts with practical skills using the ArcGIS platform, specifically:
- Online GIS
- ArcGIS Pro
- spatial analysis
- geoprocessing tools
- Mobile GIS
Software and tutorials provided.
“I am a senior developer at Esri, the world leader in GIS. I have authored "Getting to Know Web GIS" and "Web GIS: Principles and Applications." Web GIS is an exciting and promising career field. Join me in the GIS Summer Academy, and seize the opportunity!”
Dr. Pinde Fu
Senior GIS Application Developer and Project Lead
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.